Thursday, June 7, 2012

Pink Crayons

My high school wardrobe was built around two colors- pink and black. I think it started with a pink Rancid band tshirt I got in the 8th grade (I was so "punk rock"). But what really my obsession with the colors was a friendship I made in 10th grade. My new bff, Brooke, and I called ourselves the pink crayons (long story behind that one) and naturally, we wore a lot of pink and black. We passed notes back and forth to each other in a hot pink notebook. 

My obsession with pink continued throughout most of high school until Brooke and I had a falling out in the latter part of our senior year. To my Jr. year homecoming I wore a black and white hounds-tooth dress with a pink crinoline underneath and a big pink flower on it. In one of my senior pictures I wore pink and black Chuck Taylors and a pink and black polka dot ribbon belt. My mom has photographic evidence of these things. Let's call this outfit a grown up throwback to my high school self. 



I don't have a lot of pink in my wardrobe these days, so when I saw this lovely beaded cardigan at a clothing swab, I just had to have it! What better to pair a vintage feeling cardigan with than a vintage feeling polka dot dress and some classic black pumps?




Outfit:
Cardigan: swapped
Dress: H&M
Pumps: Crown Vintage via DSW


What did you wear in high school?


16 comments:

  1. Pink is my favorite! I love the black polka dot dress, you look so cute. I don't even want to remember what I wore in high school. :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  2. High school I was poor and ugly and desperate to disappear. I wore lots of thrift store baggy men's pants, concert tees (super baggy of course), Airwalks, etc. I didn't want to stand out so I blended in with the fringe group of "freaks". It wasn't until senior year that I was actually brave enough to wear anything slightly fashionable and that was because I was working at a clothing store and could get a discount. I was such a disaster!

    I love this grown-up version of your teenage self! The polka dot dress is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha.I was a disaster too, minus my color coordination. I felt huge and was extremely self conscious, but boy what I wouldn't give to have that body now!

      Delete
  3. I love hot pink with black and white. It's such a great combination and can be both girly and edgy, depending on the pieces.

    You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous dress! did u get it recently at H&M?

    http://navlandstyle.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I did not. I got it around this time last year.

      Delete
  5. You were quite a bit more stylish than I was in high, I just wore jeans, a tee and a baseball cap! :P I think this looks so adorable, between that cute cardi and that (pretty!) polka dot dress, it is a grown up version of a cute little girl outfit! This cardi was such a great find, I love the pretty beading(I think it's beading) and that pink is such a vibrant color, I bet it goes with anything. ^_^ And those classic pumps are the perfect finishing touch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in highschool now and I remember back a couple of years ago when I did a similar thing with my friends. I love your outfit...it's so adorable! You have styled it so well and I love how you have created a modern 50's look! I am now following you maybe we can follow each other? Check out my blog if you have some time and let me know what you think of my new post:) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Polka dot dress? Yes and Yes! Looking great, girl! Also- I had a notebook that me and my good friend in high school passed back and forth. Such a fond memory! And I still have it!

    Hannah Tattoos and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dress! You look so stunning!

    <3 Clare

    http://understatedclassics.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving the polka dots and pink sweater! When I was in HS all I wore was dark colors and sneakers. I looked like a hot mess! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. I would love to hear your thoughts!