Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Get your GLOW on.

This outfit is from last Tuesday. What can I say? I'm running a bit behind. However, I had to share this outfit because I wore it to a very special event. The awards dinner for Boston Glow's Ignite Change Essay Contest. I'm serving as a mentor for one of this year's winners!


Boston GLOW is a young, but mighty nonprofit founded by my dear friend Leah. GLOW stands for Girls Leadership, Organized Women and the mission of Boston GLOW is just that- female empowerment at it's finest! The Ignite Change contest challenged young women in Boston to identify a problem in their community and propose an actionable solution. 

I had the great pleasure of reading most of the essays and I was so inspired by the vision and optimism these young women have. It really gives me hope for the future. The 10 finalists each got a netbook and scholarship prize as well as goodie bags with books from published female authors who were the judges for the contest. 


Look at me with my awesome mentee, Fatima! (Please excuse my puffy face. The picture was taken at about 9pm after a long day of work at the height of my hayfever!)

Outfit:
Dress: Old Navy
Cardigan: Old Navy
Flats: Payless
Necklace: Eloquii

I leave you with my favorite quote from Fatimah's essay:
"Only when girls unite together to confront and change the 'weak-princess/perfect girl' stereotype will the role of girls in society change....Women should build confidence and support for each other to be successful."

6 comments:

  1. wow the dress is wonderful!

    xxx Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your dress, Tashia. Perfect for the event, which, by the way, sounds amazing :)

    xo,
    Hannah
    www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible organization! I envy you! And you looked great... Marissa just showcased that dress on Shabby, Chic and Cheap for being an affordable version of an expensive dress, and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this dress as well! So bright and so much fun!

    Sara :)
    http://seventwentysomethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is so cool that you are so involved in some many women-enpowering organizations! (I really enjoyed the little passage from Fatimah's essay!)
    This dress is so bright and beautiful, what a great dress to wear to this event, and your necklace is quite nifty. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading. I would love to hear your thoughts!